Grapefruit Poppy Seed Waffles are a nice combination of sweet and tart with a slight flavor of grapefruit.
Many people from around the globe have grapefruit for breakfast. Pink Grapefruit tends to be slightly sweeter. Recently I bought some grapefruit and on the way home inspiration hit. Just in time for Valentine’s day breakfast Gluten-Free Grapefruit Waffles are a unique and tasty way to begin your day.
Most of all these waffles are crispy and slightly tart goes really well with my Sweet Grapefruit Curd Syrup. Thus if you are looking for a new waffle recipe to enjoy with your family, this will soon be a family favorite.
When I first went grain-free and refined sugar-free I had a hard time finding recipes online let alone yummy and tasty ones. After looking at length for grain-free recipes online and not finding many I began my research. In all honesty, I found ingredients I had never heard of before. The next step was to have the courage to purchase ingredients I had never heard of before. After some time of research, it was time to begin to write recipes. One of the ingredients I had never heard of was Yacon Syrup. Incredibly it is from South America and in my opinion, it is much sweeter than honey.
According to my research, Yacon syrup is high in antioxidants, probiotics and are helpful for digestion of food. However, I highly suggest you do your own research on Yacon before implementing it into your diet.
2 egg yolks
3 egg whites
1/3 + 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
2 tsp grapefruit zest
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup cassava flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp Yacon Syrup
1/2 cup coconut milk
Finally, beat the egg yolks, Yacon syrup, grapefruit juice, and coconut milk together with a mixer. Next, add half of the almond flour mixture to the egg mixture. Continue to add in the remaining flour mixture until thoroughly combined.
Lastly, fold in the egg whites into the egg mixture. Fold from the bottom up. Continue to fold in the egg whites until they are incorporated.
In conclusion, add about 1/4 cup of batter and cook your waffles one at a time until cooked through and crispy.
Repeat the above instructions until batter is used up. Approximately 1-2 minutes of cook time.
Top with a dollop of coconut cream or coconut milk whipped, decorate with mint and raspberry.
Gluten-Free Grapefruit Waffles
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 + 2 cup + tbsp grapefruit juice
- 2 tbsp grapefruit zest
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp Yacon Syrup
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Separate your eggs into separate bowls.
- First, beat egg white whites until stiff and set aside.
- Combine almond flour, cassava flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, baking powder, grapefruit zest, and stir until combined.
- Finally, beat the egg yolks, Yacon syrup, grapefruit juice, and coconut milk together with a mixer.
- Continue to add in the remaining flour mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Lastly, fold in the egg whites into the egg mixture. Fold from the bottom up. Continue to fold in the egg whites until they are incorporated.
- In conclusion, add about 1/4 cup of batter to your waffle iron and cook your waffles one at a time until cooked through and crispy.
- Repeat the above instructions until batter is used up.
- Approximately 1-2 minutes of cook time.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 4 g||7 %|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||6 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 74 mg||25 %|
|Sodium 737 mg||31 %|
|Potassium 25 mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 9 g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||12 %|
|Sugars 2 g|
|Protein 4 g||9 %|
|Vitamin A||3 %|
|Vitamin C||3 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|