Gluten-Free Coconut Shrimp:
Gluten-Free coconut shrimp are easy to make as well as dairy-free. However, if you prefer dairy just substitute buttermilk or whole milk in the recipe. My blog post on Cassava Flour Information may be useful if you have never heard of it before. More importantly, Cassava Flour and canned Thai unsweetened Coconut Milk can be found on Amazon.
Gluten-Free Coconut Shrimp
Before you begin:
In conclusion, if using raw shrimp make sure to devein them. To devein them make a slit down the back of the shrimp and remove the dark vein.
First, in a bowl combine shredded coconut, cassava flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.Second, in a separate bowl combine beaten coconut milk and lemon juice (let sit for 5 minutes). Thirdly, beat eggs into coconut milk with lemon juice. Working in batches place 5-8 shrimp into the buttermilk mixture. Next, dip into the flour mixture. Next, dip shrimp into the flour mixture.Repeat so that the shrimp are double-dipped.Shrimp are double-battered.Directions for Frying:
You can fry it up on the stovetop or use a wok. Using wax paper line a half sheet pan and place coated shrimp on and line a second cookie sheet for the cooked shrimp. I used a Wok because I feel it takes less oil. If you have an electric Wok turn it on to high or tempura. Place 6 – 10 shrimp in a wok at a time.
Fry shrimp for approximately 2 minutes per side.Most importantly, do not overload the wok or frying pan.
Gluten-Free Coconut Shrimp
- 3 lbs raw peeled shrimp
- 2/4 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 1/4 cup cassava flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup Canned unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- First and foremost, If you have raw shrimp that you need to peel you will also need to devein them.3 lbs raw peeled shrimp
- To devein them make a slit down the back of the shrimp and remove the dark vein.
- First, in a bowl combine desiccated coconut, cassava flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.2/4 cups desiccated coconut, 1 1/4 cup cassava flour, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- In a separate bowl combine beaten coconut milk and lemon juice (let sit 5 minutes).2 beaten eggs, 1/2 cup Canned unsweetened full fat coconut milk, 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Next beat eggs into the coconut milk with lemon juice.
- Working in batches place 5-8 shrimp into the buttermilk mixture, once shrimp is coated dip into the flour mixture.
- Then repeat.
Directions For Frying:
- You can fry up on the stovetop in a frying pan or use a wok. U
- Using wax paper line a half sheet pan to place coated shrimp on and line a second cookie sheet for the cooked shrimp.
- I used a Wok because I feel it takes less oil.1/4 cup avocado oil
- Place 6 – 10 shrimp in a wok at a time.
- Fry shrimp up approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Do not overload the wok.
- Once all the shrimp is cooked allow to cool slightly.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 16 g||24 %|
|Saturated Fat 7 g||37 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 307 mg||102 %|
|Sodium 993 mg||41 %|
|Potassium 40 mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 19 g||6 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||10 %|
|Sugars 2 g|
|Protein 44 g||89 %|
|Vitamin A||9 %|
|Vitamin C||12 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|